The number one question I get asked on a regular basis is how do I grow closer to God? People tell me all the time they want to deepen their relationship with God, but don't know how. Well today, I am here to answer that question for you to the best of my ability. So let's get into it!
Saying you want a closer relationship with God is not going to make you closer to Him. James 4: 8 says, "And when you draw close to God, God will draw close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and let your hearts be filled with God alone to make them pure and true to him." God never leaves or forsakes us. He is always there. We are the ones who drift apart from Him. Therefore, we must make the first step of drawing close to Him by seeking Him through daily prayer, worship, praise, and studying and speaking His Word. Key Word-daily. Not sometimes. Not every now and then. Not when you feel like it. EVERY DAY!
Another important factor in developing a personal relationship with God is living a life repentance and holiness. In the second part of verse James 4:8, we are urged to cleanse ourselves from sin and purify ourselves before God. We do this through consistent repentance. Yes, God gives us grace, but grace should not be an excuse to sin. We all fall short of the glory of God, but shouldn't go around willfully sinning. Our God is a God of holiness, righteousness, and purity. God hate sin. In fact, sin, evil, and darkness cannot and will no be tolerated in HIs presence. That is why we must repent before we approach Him in prayer. Sin keeps us apart from God. Isaiah 59:2 says," It's your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore."
You cannot draw closer to God if you life a lifestyle of sin and iniquity.
Constant communion with God and daily repentance are two requirements for drawing a closer with Him.
Now that you know the foundation, here are some practical tips on how you can develop your relationship God on a daily basis.
1. Seek God early in the morning- Want to show God He comes first place in your life? Then begin your day with Him each and every morning. Before you start your daily morning routines, spend time with God first. Pray, worship, read the bible or Christian devotional. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God!
2. Set up a daily prayer schedule. As Christians, we are commanded to pray without ceasing. We should always be praying! But let's be real, many days we don't. Struggle with praying? Use the timer in you phone and set up times throughout the day for you to pray. Even if its for five minutes. A great recommendation is to set up three prayer times: morning, noon, and night. Pray when you get up in the morning, during your lunch break, and before you go to bed. If you struggle with prayer, schedule your time! You schedule time for everything else in your life! Seek ye first the Kingdom of God.
3. Set fifteen minutes of day to read, study, and mediate on the Word of God. Ask the Holy Spirit to make the Word of God come alive to you as you read it and give you fresh revelations and insights. Always keep a journal or notebook with you so you write down the revelations down for further study.
4. Use the Bible app. Don't have time to read the bible? Listen to it. Download the free Bible app on your phone. Instead of listening to a podcast or watching a video on YouTube, listen to a few passage of scriptures in the bible.
5. Speak the Word of God over yourself, family, friends, business, job, school, and material possessions daily. I have several faith declarations I speak over myself and loved ones every morning. This helps me develop my faith and decree and declare what I want to see happen in my life according to God's Word.
6. Watch sermons and prayer videos. In your down time, watch a sermon or prayer video. Feed your soul and spirit with spiritual inspiration and motivation. That will help you keep your mind focused on God and will help you stay in the spirit of God. It will also help you increase your faith because faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God.
Did this post bless you? I pray it did! Share it on your social media sites by clicking the social media icons below!
Looking for a new Christian Devotional to read? Order my latest book, Early Do I Seek Thee: 31 Day Of Seeking God In The Morning by clicking the picuture below!